More fun events and amenities coming to Downtown San José during Game Week
Residents and visitors are in store for an amazing experience in Downtown San José in the days leading up to The Big Game at Levi’s Stadium on Sunday, Feb. 7, 2016. In addition to being the official host site of Super Bowl Opening Night Fueled by Gatorade on Monday, Feb. 1, 2016, San José will offer events and activities for football fans of all ages.
“We enthusiastically welcome locals and guests from around the world to downtown San José as we celebrate Super Bowl 50,” said Mayor Sam Liccardo. “
Thanks to our many partners and our hardworking city staff, San José is gearing up to provide a top-notch experience for all who come to the Bay Area during Super Bowl Week.” During Game Week, San José is hosting three Super Community events downtown in celebration of The Big Game:
• SoFA’s Winter Market (7:00 to 11:00 p.m. Friday, Feb. 5 and noon to 6:00 p.m. Saturday, Feb. 6 in SoFA District) Artists, craft retailers, live music, DIY activities and art exhibitions will entertain visitors and residents in the downtown arts district. Visitors can tour local galleries, museums, and creative businesses and the outdoor Winter Market on South First Street, featuring arts vendors, stages and music. www.southfirstfridays.com
• Downtown Ice (Open through 9:00 p.m. Sunday, Feb. 7 at 120 S. Market St.) Visitors can enjoy ice skating under palm trees and dancing lights throughout Game Week. Downtown Ice will be open through Game Day, Feb. 7, 2016. For more information, visit www.downtownicesj.com/.
• Super Guadalupe River Run (8:00 a.m. – 12:30 p.m. Sunday, Feb. 7 at Guadalupe River Park, 438 Coleman Ave.) On the morning of the Big Game, bring your friends and family and join fellow runners and walkers in the annual 10k and 5k run along the beautiful Guadalupe River Trail. For more information, go to https://raceroster.com/events/2016/4822/super-guadalupe-river-run-2016.
Other SB50 amenities and activities happening in San José include:
• NFL Store (Open 8:00 a.m. to midnight Sunday, Jan. 31 – Sunday, Feb. 7; Special late night hours on Saturday, Feb. 6 at 300 S. First St.) Official NFL merchandise for sale at temporary store located in the SoFA District at the corner of San Carlos St. and First St. across from Original Joe’s restaurant.
• It’s Happening! Winter at Plaza de Cesar Chavez (Cafe/beer garden open noon to 10:00 p.m. daily, Friday, Jan. 29 through Sunday, Feb. 7 at 194 S. Market St.) This historic park in the center of Downtown San José will feature an outdoor cafe and beer garden, an Information Center, a mini-football field, and informal games for all ages. It’s a special place to touch down and hang out with other fans--locals and visitors alike. Evening features illuminated artwork and live music.
Park activation and improvements are funded in part by Adobe Foundation and the John S. and James L. Knight Foundation, designed by Groundswell Design Group, and produced by the Department of Parks, Recreation and Neighborhood Services. The project includes permanent improvements to the park such as lighting, new resources for the park such as flexible furniture, as well as short-term demonstrations of potential future improvements, such as the café/beer garden.
• Super San Pedro Square (N. San Pedro St.) daily Saturday, Jan. 30 through Sunday, Feb. 7 One of downtown's most happening streets transforms into a football hub with games, chalk art and a street fair featuring local artisans--all this in a neighborhood featuring hundreds of taps with craft brews, a diversity of restaurants, and a large public market. There’s everything from white table cloth dining to great options for the kids. On Saturday, Jan. 30 from 11:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m., SJMADE hosts San José’s first Screen Print Showdown where local print houses compete in friendly screen-printing competitions based on designs from a public design contest. Sunday, Jan. 31 The Super Maker Market at San Pedro Square will feature novelty items by local artisans. www.sanpedrosquare.com
• Santana Row This special shopping, dining and nightlife district will feature live music in parks and plazas from Thursday, Feb. 4 through Sunday, Feb. 7. The Big Game ticketholders can pick up their tickets at the Ticketmaster, which will be on site next to Z Gallerie. www.santanarow.com/events
For the latest information on Game Week happenings in San José, visit www.sanjoseca.gov/SB50.
About the City of San José From its founding in 1777 as California's first city, San José has been a leader, driven by its spirit of innovation. Today, San José is the largest city in Northern California and the Capital of Silicon Valley—the world's leading center of innovation. The city, the 10th largest in the U.S., is committed to remaining a top-ranked place to do business, to work and to live.
Follow us on Twitter @SanJoseInfo, #SB50, #IKnowTheWay
Contacts Lenka Wright, Assistant Director of Communications (408) 535-8113, Lenka.Wright@sanjoseca.gov
For more information, visit www.sanjoseca.gov. # # #