Ready for a Ghoul Time?
By, Rachel Davis
Team San Jose
Grab your jack-o-lanterns, monster make-up and plastic fangs, it’s that time of year again! Halloween is upon us. The air is ripe with the promise of spirits and ghoulish delights, and San Jose is the perfect place to visit to find them.
- San Jose is home to the Winchester Mystery House, known as one of the world’s most haunted places (Time Magazine). It’s back this year with Halloween Candlelight Tours, available for 20 nights in October. On the candlelight tour, guests will experience the psychological thrill of guessing what lurks in the shadows. At the 132-year old mansion, sinister feelings creep into the bones of the house, and those within, as they see the terrifying tug of war between Sarah Winchester and the malevolent psychic medium who pitted her against the spirits trapped in the house.
- For those ready to test the strength of the spirits, we have another treat in store. The Winchester Mystery House has partnered with the elegant and chic Hotel Valencia in Santana Row for the second year to create the Stay and Scare package. The package includes accommodations at Hotel Valencia, discounted tickets for the candlelight tour, a surprise Winchester amenity and complimentary breakfast. The package is priced starting at $229 per night on the weekend and $379 during the week.
- The Eighth Annual Dia de Los Muertos Festival, (Oct. 21, 2017): Dia de Los Muertos, also called Day of the Dead, is a celebration of life, and the Dia San Jose festival celebrates this rich tradition with live Cumbia, Rock en Español and Mariachi, 25 local Chicano artists, cultural performances from Calpulli Yaocuauhtli, luchadore matches in the ring and classic low riders vehicles.
- California’s Great America presents Halloween Haunt (Oct. 1-31, 2017): Halloween Haunt, Northern California's biggest Halloween haunted attraction, features mazes, scare zones, live shows and monsters around every dark corner. The haunt lasts all October.
- Famous Monsters Halloween Convention (Oct. 27-29, 2017): Famous Monsters is throwing a Halloween convention with celebrity guests from films and TV shows such as Hellraiser, A Clockwork Orange, American Gods, Pan's Labyrinth, Face Off and even the upcoming Star Trek. The convention will also include haunted houses, VR arcades, a live Rocky Horror Show production and trick-or-treating.
- Run with the Zombies (Oct. 28, 2017): San Jose’s Kelley Park will play host to a 5K Zombie run this Halloween season. Join this family friendly event and dress up in your best blood and gore.
- As always there will be a myriad of bars to get your boo’s at (no blood, sorry vampires) such as Dive Bar’s Costume Contest and drink specials on October 28th. They even have Skaryoke on Wednesday, Oct. 25th!
- For those little goblins out there, San Jose is known as one of the best cities to trick or treat in according to Zillow, so get your costumes (and your stomachs) ready!
Whatever your "witchy wish" is for Halloween, San Jose is chalk full of ways to celebrate, and that’s a treat, not a trick!