Event Listings are provided on www.SanJose.org to showcase San Jose and the surrounding region as a vibrant, desirable place to live, work, and visit. The site allows both residents and tourists a “one-stop” shop to find a wide variety of things to do to in the area. These rules do not apply to the Hotels, Restaurants, Activities, or Maps & More sections on SanJose.org or to SanJoseTheaters.org. All events are posted at the discretion of TSJ Staff and any requests to be an exception will be reviewed on an individual basis.
DOES MY EVENT QUALIFY TO BE LISTED?
Your event must be:
- Open to the public
- Have at least an Event Name, Date, Time and Location (Once events are posted, they are not guaranteed to be revisited; information must be complete enough at the time of posting to provide the most positive user experience and be respectful of staff time.)
- Tickets must be either: on sale, be part of a season, or link to a page where tickets are clearly purchasable at a later date (supply information url for free events)
- Have an image (510x510). Staff will choose an image from the website or other public marketing material from the org/event website if an image is not provided in another way.
- In almost all cases events that are part of a known season will only be entered once the entire season has been announced
NOTE WE DO NOT POST: High school, grade school, and middle school programming/events, City and Community college events (note that University level does have coverage), political campaign events, most classes and workshops, or any illegal or potentially offensive content.
IS THERE A COST TO BE LISTED?: No.
HOW EVENTS ARE LISTED:
- Events occurring over a period of time (such as multi-day festivals, theatre shows, ongoing daily, weekly or monthly events, events part of a series, art exhibitions, etc.) will be entered as a single listing with the date range and full event information included. **In some cases staff may decide to add additional listings for clarity, special promotion or to highlight events in TSJ facilities.
- Ongoing/Long term events are defined as events taking place regularly over a 45 day period or longer (e.g. many art exhibits) and are listed as a single listing. Long term events show up by default in event searches with an option to remove them if unselected.
- Categories for each event are chosen at the discretion of staff and include: Adult and Nightlife, Benefits and Fundraisers, Comedy, Conventions and Tradeshows, Dance, Educational, Festival, Film, Food/Wine/Beer, Free, Gaming, History, Holiday and Special Events, Kid and Family, Lecture, Literary Arts, Museum, Music – All, Music – Classical, Music – Country, Music – Folk/World, Music – Jazz/Blues, Music – Local, Music – Pop/Rock, Nature and Environment, Open Mic, Science and Technology, Sports, Stage and Theater – All, Stage and Theater – Magic, Stage and Theatre – Musical, Visual Arts.
IS SANJOSETHEATERS.ORG THE SAME WEBSITE?: Content is leveraged directly from the San Jose Theaters site to ensure that the two sites are aligned, but they are two separate websites on two separate web platforms. SanJoseTheaters.org only lists events at the Montgomery Theater, City National Civic, California Theatre, and the San Jose Center for the Performing Arts. Events in these venues are entered weekly on to SanJose.org and the process is coordinated with the San Jose Theaters Web Content Coordinator.
EVENT DISPLAY ON WEBSITE FRONT END: If there are no events under a specific category, the category will not be listed in the dropdown menu of categories for the site user to choose from. All events are displayed with City of San Jose events listed first, by end date; then all other cities sorted chronologically by event end date.
FEATURED EVENTS: Featured events are curated by staff taking into account many factors. These spaces are never sold or promised outright, and are rotated through both automatically and manually. They are listed chronologically by end date.
- Home Page (up to 9 events) – Events in San Jose as a general rule are featured. Major city-wide events or events TSJ is partnering with for promotion outside of San Jose can also be featured on the Home Page at the discretion of staff.
- Events Page (up to 6 events) – Events in San Jose as a general rule will be featured on the events page. Major city-wide events or events TSJ is partnering with for promotion outside of San Jose can also be featured on the Home Page at the discretion of staff.
HOW DO YOU GATHER INFORMATION?:
- Individual websites proactively searched (currently following 207 San Jose-based groups and approx. 100 other groups)
- Large venues over 6K seating capacity with events added on an ongoing basis are checked monthly or as time allows for new content
- Organizations and venues under 6K are checked a) when a full season is projected to be/has been announced b) every 1-3 months if new content is expected
- Team San Jose Theater venues checked once/week
- Annual festival sites are checked annually, usually 3 months prior to the festival if dates are not announced immediately following the current year’s festival end
- Email Newsletters
- Press List/Media distribution lists
- Social media (Facebook primarily)
- Marketing Editorial Calendar
- Internal Staff Members
- Responses to Email or phone queries
- SanJoseTheaters.org (see next item below)
WHO CAN I TALK TO ABOUT MORE INFORMATION ABOUT EVENT LISTINGS?: For additional information on event listings, please contact Kereli Sengstack at email@example.com.
Business Listings Guidelines
Business Listings (Activities, Restaurants and Hotels) are provided on www.SanJose.org to showcase San Jose and the surrounding region as a vibrant, desirable place to live, work, and visit. The site allows both residents and tourists a “one-stop” shop to find a wide variety of activities and places to eat in the area, as well as hotels in San Jose proper. Please note: All business listings are curated and posted at the discretion of TSJ Staff and any requests to be added or to be an exception to these guidelines, will be reviewed on an individual basis.
THE LISTING MUST BE:
- Open to the public at the time of listing (no private, member-based listings or listings for places “coming soon”)
- Hotels must have short term (non-residential) rooms available for booking on an ongoing basis
- Hotels must be located in San Jose (collecting Transient Occupancy Tax for the City of San Jose)
- Have a website or Facebook page with complete information (Once listings are posted, they may be, but are not guaranteed to be, revisited more than every 12 months; information must be complete enough at the time of posting to provide the most positive user experience and be respectful of limited staff time.)
- Have a compelling, 72 dpi resolution image (510x510). Staff will choose an image from the website or other public marketing material from the org/event website if an image is not provided in another way.
NOTE WE DO NOT CURRENTLY POST: Fast Food establishments, drugstores, most large chain restaurants or large chain coffee shops, private businesses (like law offices, dental offices etc.) private activities that require membership, or individual AirBnB’s. Listings are selected taking into account a variety of targeted factors.
DISPLAY ON WEBSITE FRONT END:
Listings are displayed San Jose first, then all other cities sorted chronologically by event end date. A handful of higher end/popular dining in the greater San Jose region appear on the site for featuring in our regional neighborhood section A Restaurant can be listed as an Activity and vice versa if both ongoing live entertainment and full menu or bar is offered regularly at the location. If there are no business listings under a specific category, the category will not be listed in the dropdown menu of categories for the site user to choose from. Categories for each event are chosen at the discretion of staff
HOW IS A FEATURED STATUS CHOSEN?:
- Activities Page (up to 10) – http://www.sanjose.org/activities/ Restaurants are featured to highlight a variety of cuisines and are rotated through by every 2-3 months. Featured spots are never paid.
- Restaurant Page (up to 10) http://www.sanjose.org/restaurants/Restaurants are featured to highlight a variety of cuisines and are rotated through by staff every 2-3 months. Featured spots are never paid.
- Hotel Page (All Partner Hotels) http://www.sanjose.org/hotels/ Partner Hotels are listed in the default view, in random order (so no partner is always at the top).
- Meetings Hotel Page (All Partner Hotels) http://www.sanjose.org/meetings/partner-hotels/ Only partner hotels appear on this page and are listed in this view largest to smallest
Neighborhood Page (up to 10) http://www.sanjose.org/maps-more/neighborhoods/A variety of activities and restaurants are selected by staff to appear in each of the neighborhood sections. Featured spots are never paid.
HOW DO YOU GATHER AND UPDATE BUSINESS LISTING INFORMATION?:
- Individual websites/lists proactively searched (Including local blogs)
- Email Newsletters (including Chamber, Downtown Association etc.)
- Press List/Media distribution lists
- Social media (Facebook. Twitter, Instagram)
- Internal staff members
- Responses to email or phone queries
WHO CAN I TALK TO ABOUT MORE INFORMATION ABOUT BUSINESS LISTINGS? For additional information on business listings, please contact Jennifer DeForest (firstname.lastname@example.org).
BECOMING A PARTNER HOTEL:
The Benefits that Partner Hotels, paying the annual per room fee, receive include:
- Inclusion in monthly distribution of confidential sales reports that tracks pace, lead room night opportunities, lost business, market segmentation and detailed lead information.
- Customized reporting is available to all hotels that participate in the Partner Hotel Program.
- An enhanced presence on the Plan Your Meeting page on sanjose.org including detailed hotel highlights and amenities.
- Property specific sales collateral, both in print and online, for use by the Team San Jose sales team on the road.
- National Sales Office support located in Washington DC.
- Eligibility to participate in organized sales calls, presentations and special events through the National Sales Office.
- First come first serve access to all Tradeshows & Events including direct access and immediate distribution of all leads and contacts received including customer profiles.
- iEBMS access allowing hotels to check real time Convention Center and theater venue availability.
- Invitation to participate in all sales shirtsleeves committees. (ie: Hotel Business Advisory Group)
- Complimentary presence on the 21 plasmas throughout the convention center.
- Inclusion in the distribution of a monthly 60-day calendar of San Jose events providing detailed convention information to merchants and restaurants.
- National outreach and representation through membership of associations that interface with meeting and event planners, i.e., Destination Marketing Association International, Professional Convention Management Association, Meeting Planners International, (Various Chapters), Association of Meeting Planners Society, CVB Reps, SF Travel, ASAE, CESSE, Green Meetings Industry Counsel, MIC, CEMA, Direct Selling Association, SGMP, IAEE, Silicon Valley Gay & Lesbian Chamber, Silicon Valley Chamber of Commerce , Concierge Association, SVBTA, PRSA and SJSA.
- Inclusion in distribution of monthly TAP report, which is a city competitive analysis study for Trends, Analysis and Projections.
- Leads sent to one designated email/recipient per hotel.
- Preferred opportunity to participate in media, travel trade and other leisure focused familiarization tours.
- Preferred placement on B2C digital assets for San Jose including sanjose.org and U-trip.
- Promotional strategy and execution on leisure branding campaigns focused on domestic and international markets.
- DMAI accreditation that is recognized and serves as a visible industry distinction that defines quality and performance standards in destination marketing and management. Achieving DMAP accreditation positions a DMO as a valued and respected organization in your community and increases our credibility in the market.
To find out more about costs associated with becoming a Partner Hotel and additional benefits for hotels paying Transient Occupancy Tax (TOT) and hotels qualified to participate in San Jose Hotels Inc., San Jose Hotel Business Improvement District (HBID), please contact Benjamin Roschke at email@example.com.