Getting Around - Public and Private Transportation
- Safe, compact, walkable and bike-friendly Downtown
- Plentiful parking
LOCAL PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION
VTA Light Rail and Bus: Light Rail gets you quickly and inexpensively through the city, including the Alum Rock, Almaden and Santa Teresa areas of San Jose, plus neighboring Mountain View and Campbell. The extensive bus routes are easy to navigate throughout all of Silicon Valley.
Caltrain: Easy access to San Francisco (including AT&T Park, home of the SF Giants) as well as access to shopping at the Gilroy Outlets is as easy as hopping on a train. Trains run daily with fares starting at $3 and increase based on zones traveled in and over what period of time.
Dash (Downtown Area Shuttle) Shuttle: Take advantage of the free shuttle which hits key areas of Downtown. Shuttles run Monday to Friday, from approximately 6:30am to 9:15pm.
ALTERNATE PRIVATE TRANSPORTATION
• Eco City Cycles operates a pedicab service which is a fast, fun and green way to see the city. Cycles operate Wednesday to Saturday from 7pm to 2am during good weather.
• Rent a bike for a day or more in San Jose and beyond with the Bay Area Bike Share program
• For all your biking resources in one place check out our Bike San Jose page.
• Rent a Zip Car if you feel like exploring on your own for just a few hours
• Regular long term rental cars can of course be easily arranged for pick up and drop at off any of the major Silicon Valley airports
• Cesar Chavez Park (near the Fairmont San Jose) as well as the San Pedro Square Market are both areas you can find a variety of regular taxi cab services day and night
BEYOND SILICON VALLEY
To adventure beyond the immediate region try, Bart (Bay Area Rapid Transit), Greyhound Bus Lines, Ace (Altamont Corridor Express) Train, Capitol Corridor Train and Amtrack California and National Train Service.