Food & Beverage - Bartender (On-Call)
The Bartender is responsible for mixing, pouring, and servicing of hard liquor or alcoholic beverages, selling food and providing superior service to both the internal and external customer.
This is an on-call union position, and all individuals in this role are represented by UNITE HERE! Local 19.
· Greets guests in a courteous and friendly manner, promotes and documents orders for drinks. Mixes and presents drinks using standard ingredient recipes and practicing prudent portion control. Check guests for proper identification. Detect and act upon guest inebriation as trained. Demonstrates knowledge of liquor laws. (TIPS training)
· Inputs orders into a register at the point of sale and creates a check for each guest and personnel guests, including those served by other beverage servers, to maintain accountability of all beverages served.
· Accurately completes opening and closing inventory. Receives cash from guests, makes any change needed, verifies validity of charges, records charges, and insures vouchers are properly executed, in order to balance money.
· Maintains proper and adequate set-up and clean-up of the bar on a daily basis. This includes placement of portable bars, requisitioning and stocking of all beer, wine, spirits, paper products, straws and stirrers, condiments and produce based on projections from the daily functions sheet. Able to push or lift up to 50lbs for up to 120ft.
· Locks up and stores all beverages, food and other equipment items, deposits cash drops and secures bank.
· Perform other related duties as required.
- Able to speak, read and write in the English language effectively.
- Must have at least one (1) year experience as a Bartender in a full-service bar environment.
- Scheduling flexibility is essential, willing to work evenings, nights, weekends and holidays.
- Successful completion of TIPS training & valid California Food Handler certification.
- Have basic mathematical skills that are necessary to calculate POS and cash transactions such as issuing/receiving change & payment, processing transactions, counting cash banks/drops and any tasks that require the use of math calculations.
- Sufficient manual dexterity in hands in order to use a knife to make garnish, pick up glassware and bottles, scoop ice, mix drinks, and reach overhead to retrieve stock.
- Ability to lift and transport items weighting 50+lbs.
- Perform general cleaning tasks to adhere to health and safety standards.
- Consistently provide friendly and pleasant customer service by being courteous, professional, and
maintain a positive attitude.
- Abide by all state, federal and corporate liquor regulations pertaining to serving alcoholic beverages.
ABOUT TEAM SAN JOSE
Launched in 2004, Team San Jose is a non-profit management corporation that operates the San Jose McEnery Convention Center and cultural venues California Theatre, Center for the Performing Arts, City National Civic, Montgomery Theater, and South Hall, and serves as the Convention and Visitors Bureau for San Jose. Team San Jose is a strategic partner supporting the success of local events, and drives travel to our community through sales, marketing and public relations efforts.
Team San Jose ensures the success of meetings and events with its unique collaboration between the local hotels, arts groups, and local labor – all working to effectively manage the quality of the customers’ experience from beginning to end. Team San Jose’s model is changing the way our meetings and conventions industry serves customers - putting them first with one team for all their event services needs - rather than handing them off to multiple organizations after the meeting is booked.
Team San Jose’s success has supported the local economy by attracting events and visitors which drive spending in local hotels, cultural and convention venues, restaurants and attractions, which in turn helps create jobs. The organization’s seamless service has received raves from planners, with 98 percent of our customers returning to San Jose.
If you are an enthusiastic person with experience in the hospitality industry who is eager to become part of a progressive performance oriented team, please submit resume to: jobs@san jose.org. Please include “Bartender” in the subject line of your email. For more information about Team San Jose, please visit our website at: www.sanjose.org. Team San Jose is an equal opportunity employer.