Senior Event Services Manager
Event Services (Full Time)
The Senior Event Manager is a team member of the Event Services Department and is responsible for ensuring successful planning and execution of complex events for the San Jose McEnery Convention Center.
- Plans and coordinates multiple complex events including: review and evaluate event plans, develop detail diagrams, layouts, and procedures, provide recommendations to event organizers and groups, hold pre and post event meetings, distribute information to departments for implementation of all contractual obligations.
- Upsells food and beverage and other services to clients to meet performance margins.
- Meets and confers with event organizers on appropriate venues, required permits, health and safety issues, and crowd safety measures.
- Meets with representatives from various departments and groups to discuss, prioritize, and complete client’s requests. Determine facility requirements.
- Prepares event budgets, monitors event expenditures, produce revenue projections, and performs revenue analysis.
- Coordinates equipment and staffing needs (such as ushers, security, custodial, catering, & electrical), including payment of contract labor and equipment rental (equipment may include lighting, sound and video communications). Obtain, supervise, and evaluate outside contractors (police, service contractors, and first aid & fire staff, etc.).
- Prepares event reports and billing statements at the close of events.
- Advises clients on facility capabilities, required permits, company policies and procedures, and determine event costs and final settlement.
- Clearly and concisely communicates event requirements to internal departments accordingly to event service documents.
- Conducts site inspection and resolve any issues.
- Serves as a liaison to coordinate City Services such as Police, Fire and Traffic Departments.
- Provides mentorship and guidance to Event Services Managers and others in junior role.
- Strives and encourages creative thinking to improve customer experiences and team efficiencies
- Handles special projects and performs other duties as assigned.
- 8+ years of event management and preferably some catering experience in hospitality in a comparable position
- Convention event management experience in a union environment is highly desirable
- Food and Beverage knowledge
- Impeccable customer service skills
- Independently solve problems
- Revenue driven, ability to upselling services and products
- Negotiate and administer contractual agreements
- Detail oriented, ability to multi-task, work in a fast pace environment, excel at time management, and manage conflict and adapt to changes effectively
- Knowledge of crowd management, security practices, building code, applicable laws and regulations (such as pertinent health, fire, and safety laws), principles and practices of event management of a public facility
- Ability to:
- demonstrate diplomacy and work collaboratively with various internal and external constituents and departments
- lead and direct others effectively, communicate clearly orally and in writing
- work in a team environment and proactively assist teammate as needed
- Work schedule requires schedule flexibility and long hours including weekends, evenings, graveyard, and holiday
- Bachelor’s degree in hospitality, business management, or related field
- Computer experience: Microsoft Office Applications (Excel, Word, Powerpoint, Outlook Email). Event management software and AutoCad is a plus.
ABOUT TEAM SAN JOSE
Launched in 2004, Team San Jose is a non-profit management corporation that operates the San Jose Convention Center and cultural venues such as South Hall, Parkside Hall, City National Civic, California Theatre, Center for the Performing Arts and Montgomery Theater, and serves as the convention and visitors bureau for San Jose. Team San Jose is a strategic partner supporting the success of local events, and drives travel to our community through sales, marketing and public relations efforts.
Team San Jose ensures the success of meetings and events with its unique collaboration between the local hotels, arts groups, and local labor – all working to effectively manage the quality of the customers’ experience from beginning to end. San Jose’s model is changing the way our meetings and conventions industry serves customers - putting them first with one team for all their event services needs - rather than handing them off to multiple organizations after the meeting is booked. Team San Jose’s success has supported the local economy by attracting events and visitors which drive spending in local hotels, cultural and convention venues, restaurants and attractions, which in turn helps create jobs. The organization’s seamless service has received raves from planners, with 98 percent of our customers returning to San Jose.
If you are an enthusiastic person with experience in the hospitality industry who is eager to become part of a progressive performance oriented team, please submit resume to: email@example.com. Please include “Senior Event Services Manager” in the subject line of your email.
For more information about Team San Jose, please visit our website at: www.sanjose.org. Team San Jose is an equal opportunity employer.