POSITION SUMMARY: The Executive Chef is a leadership role supervising the development and production of all food products for catered and retail events along with the stewarding support functions. The Executive Chef ensures that all food production and stewarding managers are performing their duties as prescribed by the quality standards established by the Director of Event Operations.
• Responsible to achieve budgeted culinary labor and cost of merchandise percentages.
• Coordinates stewarding functions for culinary, banquet, retail, and beverage departments.
• Maintain and consistently improve quality control standards to achieve “best in class” status among the nation’s convention centers.
• Develops, tests, cost analyzes, and implements all published and custom menu items for catering and retail applications.
• Supervises all product purchasing programs to ensure the highest possible quality outcomes.
• Recommends all purchase/produce decisions for culinary and retail applications.
• Develops, documents, and implements training programs for all culinary and retail applications.
• Works with human resources to source, recruit, motivate, and retain culinary and culinary related personnel.
• Verifies that portion sizes and quality standards are maintained for culinary and retail menu products.
• Liaison for culinary related community, social, professional and industry associations.
• Prepares and manages short-term and long-range plans and budgets based on organizational goals and growth objectives.
• Develops and promotes effective relationships with all internal and external customers and clients of Team San Jose.
• Conducts regular performance evaluations for direct reports.
• Identifies employee development needs and succession plans; ensures training and coaching is provided as needed.
• Exceeds organizational expectations.
• Other duties as assigned.
• A minimum of 5 years in a previous position equal to or greater than Executive Chef or; a minimum of 7 years in a culinary leadership position with postsecondary culinary education and/or Bachelor’s degree in foodservice or hospitality management.
• Union Environment. 8-10 years of culinary experience in a branded hotel, full service restaurant, corporate
• The knowledge and experience of inventory control and food costing, purchasing, food and kitchen safety, menu design and planning, employee supervision and development, staffing and scheduling, and decision making.
• Innovative and experienced in fusion and multi ethnic cuisines.
• Excellent interpersonal, public relations, oratory and presentation skills.
• Excellent time management and multi-tasking skills.
• Impeccable moral views and business ethics.
• Ability to work well under pressure and deliver good results.
• Excellent active and passive listening skills.
• Fluency with productivity software such as MS Word, and Excel.
• Comfort with specialty industry software applications such as Eatec, Cheftec, FoodTrak, FoodCalc, etc.
• Advanced knowledge and skills of the nutrition and applied nutritional cooking.
• Advanced knowledge and skills of modern buffet presentation and plate presentation techniques.
• Depth and breadth of knowledge of basic foodservice accounting principles
• Knowledge of industry standard cost control procedures.
• Experience managing personnel governed by a Collective Bargaining Agreements and the ability to achieve organizational results following the terms of the CBA.
• Able to work varying schedules to reflect the business needs of the convention center.
If you are an enthusiastic person with experience in the hospitality industry eager to become part of a progressive performance-oriented team, please begin the application process here. Please note you will need to create an account to complete the application process.