Food & Beverage (Part-Time On-Call)
A Cook Helper assists the Chef or Cook accordingly and must work under supervision. This is an on-call union position, and all individuals in this role are represented by UNITE HERE! Local 19.
SALARY: $18 per hour (Employees makes $-1 for the first 30 working days)
- Prepares all the prep work for hot and cold areas.
- Responsible to supply assigned work station with all needed products and culinary equipment for prompt production.
- Stores all food in refrigerated boxes including covers, labels and dates, using the proper containers to protect against waste and spoilage.
- Maintain kitchen area and tools of the trade clean and organize according to department and ECO-SURE standards.
- Perform other related duties as required.
- Able to speak, read and write in the English language effectively.
- Must have a minimum of six (6) months experience in food preparation and fundamentals of cooking.
- Scheduling flexibility is essential, willing to work evenings, nights, weekends and holidays.
- MUST have a valid California Food Handler Card.
- Must have basic knowledge of ECO-SURE sanitation standards.
- Must have knowledge of operating all kitchen equipment, i.e., stoves, ovens, broilers, slicers, steamers, kettles.
- Basic mathematical skills necessary to understand recipes, measurements, and portion sizes.
- Ability to use manual dexterity of hands to move (rotate) goods weighing a maximum of 50 lbs. on a continuous schedule and use all kitchen equipment, i.e., knives, spoons, spatulas, tong, slicers, etc.
- Ability to perform duties within extreme temperature ranges.
- Must be able to work in a high stress environment.
- Ability to stand and walk for long periods of time.
- Ability to work in confined spaces for long periods of time and perform repetitive tasks.
- Ability to lift/carry items using proper lifting/carrying procedures up to 80lbs., move heavy items and stand long periods of time.
HOW TO APPLY:
Drop In: Complete an application at the Human Resources Offices located at 408 Almaden Blvd San Jose, CA 95110 (inside the San Jose McEnery Convention Center next to Marriott Hotel)
Email: Send resumes to email@example.com. Please include “Cook Helper” in the subject line.
Team San Jose is an equal opportunity employer. Team San Jose does not discriminate on the basis of disability, veteran status or any other basis protected under federal, state or local laws. Applicants with criminal histories will be considered in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws.