Director of Food & Beverage
Food & Beverage (Full-Time)
The Director, Food and Beverage is a leadership, hands on and proactive thinking role supervising the development and production of all elements of service operations for catered and retail events. The Director of Food and Beverage ensures that all Banquet and Concessions Managers are performing their duties as prescribed by the quality standards established.
- Responsible to achieve budgeted, front and back-of-the-house labor and cost of merchandise percentages.
- Plan and direct all service functions for banquet & receptions, concessions and Food and Beverage departmen
- Maintains and consistently improves quality control service standards to achieve “best in class” status among the nation’s convention centers.
- Approves staff to guest ratios for all dining function
- Approves points of sale and schedules for Food and Beverage departments.
- Develops, documents, and implements training programs for all service Food and Beverage personnel.
- Works closely with the culinary department to execute flawless events.
- Verifies that portion sizes, service standards, and speed of service are maintained for the
- Food and Beverage departments.
- Ensures compliance for the safe and legal service of alcoholic beverages. Maintains compliance with HSM volume purchasing program.
- Maintains proper inventory levels at working condition of all equipment and supplies.
- Prepares and manages short-term and long-range plans and budgets based on organizational goals and growth objectives.
- Create and implement Standard Operating Procedures.
- Implement effective controls for Food and Beverage, labor and equipment. Complies with EBMS and labor control systems.
- Develops and promotes effective relationships with all internal and external customers and clients of Team San Jose.
- Identifies employee development needs and succession plans; ensures training and coaching is provided as needed.
- Works with Safety Manager to implement employee safety trainings and other to minimize work related accidents.
- Works with Human Resources to attract, retain and develop top talent
- Works with Human Resources in all aspects related to the Collective Bargaining Agreement.
- Exceeds organizational expectations.
- Other duties as assigned
- Excellent interpersonal, public relations, oratory and presentation skills.
- Exceptional management capabilities.
- Ability to work well under pressure and deliver good resu
- Fluency with productivity software such as MS Word, and Excel.
- Excellent knowledge of human resource policies and procedures.
- Advanced knowledge and skills of the fundamentals of American, French, Russian, sweep and synchronized banquet service.
- Advanced knowledge of wines, distilled spirits, malted beverages and service skills for high quality beverage service.
- Advanced knowledge and skills for modern buffet and reception set up, flow management, replenishment techniques and aesthetically pleasing present
- Depth and breadth of knowledge of basic foodservice accounting principles.
- Knowledge of industry standard cost control procedures.
- Experience managing personnel governed by a Collective Bargaining Agreements and the ability to achieve organizational results following the terms of the CBA.
- Hold all team members accountable to follow Team San Jose’s uniform and appearance policies.
- Able to work varying schedules to reflect the business needs of the convention center.
- A minimum of 4+ years in a director level food and beverage leadership position within a convention center or hotel environment.
- Associate’s or Bachelor’s degree in food service/hospitality management preferred.
- Certification in safe alcohol service or TIPS.
- Certification in food safety and sanitation.
- English/Spanish bi-lingual preferred
- Ability to perform duties in a fast paced environment.
ABOUT TEAM SAN JOSE
Launched in 2004, Team San Jose is a non-profit management corporation that operates the San Jose McEnery Convention Center and cultural venues California Theatre, Center for the Performing Arts, City National Civic, Montgomery Theater, Parkside Hall, and South Hall, and serves as the Convention and Visitors Bureau for San Jose. Team San Jose is a strategic partner supporting the success of local events, and drives travel to our community through sales, marketing and public relations efforts.
Team San Jose ensures the success of meetings and events with its unique collaboration between the local hotels, arts groups, and local labor – all working to effectively manage the quality of the customers’ experience from beginning to end. Team San Jose’s model is changing the way our meetings and conventions industry serves customers - putting them first with one team for all their event services needs - rather than handing them off to multiple organizations after the meeting is booked.
Team San Jose’s success has supported the local economy by attracting events and visitors which drive spending in local hotels, cultural and convention venues, restaurants and attractions, which in turn helps create jobs. The organization’s seamless service has received raves from planners, with 98 percent of our customers returning to San Jose.
If you are an enthusiastic person with experience in the hospitality industry who is eager to become part of a progressive performance oriented team, please submit resume to: email@example.com. Please include “Director of Food and Beverage” in the subject line of your email. For more information about Team San Jose, please visit our website at: www.sanjose.org. Team San Jose is an equal opportunity employer.