POSITION SUMMARY: The Payroll Director is responsible for leading all aspects of the payroll operations for Team San Jose along with payroll projects, system implementations and process improvements. The role includes consultation to executive leadership, management, and human resources regarding payroll and compensation, policies and practices and responsibility for ensuring payroll compliance with federal, state and local government requirements.
• Oversee the preparation, and processing of semi-monthly multi-state and multi-union payroll, including prevailing wage, garnishments, benefits and taxes consistent with federal and state wage and hour laws.
• Ensure payroll software systems are set-up and updated to reflect current employee data, including wages, benefits, paid time off, sick and vacation time, exemptions, insurance coverage, garnishments, and loan payments.
• Design short-term and long-term strategies for continuous improvement in payroll operations.
• Critically review and analyze current payroll and tax procedures to recommend and implement changes leading to best-practice operations.
• Provide subject matter expertise for cross-functional projects and influence and negotiate priorities
• Enhance payroll analytical and reporting capabilities in to provide significant decision support for management
• Manage regular preparation of relevant management reports, including weekly, monthly, quarterly, and year-end reports (gross payroll, hours worked, PTO accrual, tax deductions, benefit deductions, etc.)
• Lead and participate in system implementation initiatives including gathering requirements, attending system demos, testing, developing desktop procedures, training, and change management
• Partner with HR in aligning and implementing more automated and integrated payroll and benefits processes.
• Review and monitor payroll tax information and W-2’s to ensure accuracy
• Maintain strong internal controls over the payroll function in compliance with SOX requirements
• Maintain current knowledge of Federal and State income tax regulations.
• Oversee Scheduling department to ensure that labor needs for the convention center and theaters managed by Team San Jose are utilized effectively and efficiently.
• Bachelor’s degree required
• Payroll certifications required – within the last 12 months preferred
• Minimum 8 years’ payroll experience required, Kronos preferred
• Minimum 5 years’ management experience
• Minimum 3 years’ union payroll experience
• Payroll system implementation skillset
• Experience with complex cross-functional payroll projects
• Ability to handle multiple tasks, set priorities and meet deadlines in a high-volume, fast-paced environment
• Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills
• Bi-lingual English/Spanish is preferred
If you are an enthusiastic person with experience in the hospitality industry eager to become part of a progressive performance-oriented team, please begin the application process here. Please note you will need to create an account to complete the application process.