Senior Event Services Manager
Event Services (Full-Time)
The Senior Event Manager is a team member of the Event Services Department and is responsible for ensuring successful planning and execution of complex events for the San Jose McEnery Convention Center.
- Plans and coordinates multiple complex events including: review and evaluate event plans, develop detail diagrams, layouts, and procedures, provide recommendations to event organizers and groups, hold pre and post event meetings, distribute information to departments for implementation of all contractual obligations.
- Upsells food and beverage and other services to clients to meet performance margins.
- Meets and confers with event organizers on appropriate venues, required permits, health and safety issues, and crowd safety measures
- Meets with representatives from various departments and groups to discuss, prioritize, and complete client’s requests. Determine facility requirements.
- Prepares event budgets, monitors event expenditures, produce revenue projections, and performs revenue analysis.
- Coordinates equipment and staffing needs (such as ushers, security, custodial, catering, & electrical), including payment of contract labor and equipment rental (equipment may include lighting, sound and video communications). Obtain, supervise, and evaluate outside contractors (police, service contractors, and first aid & fire staff, etc.).
- Prepares event reports and billing statements at the close of events.
- Advises clients on facility capabilities, required permits, company policies and procedures, and determine event costs and final settlement.
- Clearly and concisely communicates event requirements to internal departments accordingly to event service documents.
- Conducts site inspection and resolve any issues.
- Serves as a liaison to coordinate City Services such as Police, Fire and Traffic Departments.
- Provides mentorship and guidance to Event Services Managers and others in junior role.
- Strives and encourages creative thinking to improve customer experiences and team efficiencies
- Handles special projects and performs other duties as assigned.
- 8+ years of event management and preferably some catering experience in hospitality in a comparable position
- Convention event management experience in a union environment is highly desirable
- Food and Beverage knowledge
- Impeccable customer service skills
- Independently solve problems
- Revenue driven, ability to upselling services and products
- Negotiate and administer contractual agreements
- Detail oriented, ability to multi-task, work in a fast pace environment, excel at time management, and manage conflict and adapt to changes effectively
- Knowledge of crowd management, security practices, building code, applicable laws and regulations (such as pertinent health, fire, and safety laws), principles and practices of event management of a public facility
- Ability to:
- demonstrate diplomacy and work collaboratively with various internal and external constituents and departments
- lead and direct others effectively, communicate clearly orally and in writing
- work in a team environment and proactively assist teammate as needed
- Work schedule requires schedule flexibility and long hours including weekends, evenings, graveyard, and holiday
- Bachelor’s degree in hospitality, business management, or related field
- Computer experience: Microsoft Office Applications (Excel, Word, Powerpoint, Outlook Email). Event management software and AutoCad is a plus.