Skip to main content

Permits & Insurance

People walking into the rotaunda of City Hall in downtown San Jose.

Permits & Insurance

The San Jose Film Office can connect you to the right contacts for permitting, scheduling, and other assistance while filming in San Jose and Silicon Valley. If the site location for your film or photography activity is located within city limits, you will work directly with the City of San Jose for all permits.


City of San Jose General Insurance Requirements:


Prior to commencing any filming or photography activity on public property, production companies must provide to the City of San Jose’s Office of Risk Management a valid Certificate of Insurance showing the following:

  • Commercial General Liability: minimum $1,000,000 combined single limit per occurrence for bodily injury and property damage including products and completed operations.
  • Automobile Liability: minimum $1,000,000 combined single limit per accident for bodily injury and property damage for all owned, hired or non-owned vehicles.
  • Workers’ Compensation and Employers’ Liability: limit of not less than $100,000 per accident as required by the Labor Code of the State of California.
  • Commercial General Liability Certificate must be accompanied by the following endorsements:
  • Ten (10) day Notice of Cancellation or changes of coverage shall be given to the City of San Jose.
  • The insurance is primary insurance as respects the City, its officials, employees, agents and contractors. Any other insurance the City may have shall be considered excess insurance only.
  • Coverage shall state that the production company’s insurance shall apply separately to each insured against whom claim is made or suit is brought, except with respect to the limits of the insurer's liability.

Film Office Inquiry Form