From holding our own as a respected sports destination, to a deeply rooted influence in contemporary rock music, to a unique global food scene inspired by our diversity... Here are the top 10 reasons why you should find your #waytosanjose!
1. We’ve Got Sunshine: San Jose’s sunshine shines bright. Enjoy the perfect weather in any of our wide-open spaces. Take a hike at Alum Rock Park, jog by the water at Lake Cunningham Park or have a picnic and soak up the sun in the Municipal Rose Garden.
2. We’re Living in 3019: The future is now in San Jose. Learn about Silicon Valley science and technology at The Tech Museum of Innovation with interactive exhibits. Take a peek into the future at the Tesla Showroom and explore new gadgets at the Netgear store on Santana Row.
3. Pho-nominal Noms: We’re home to the largest Vietnamese population outside of Vietnam so you can’t leave San Jose without slurping a huge bowl of authentic Pho. The Vietnamese soup is a comfort food that can be shared across all cultures. Little Saigon offers countless spots to get your pho fix. Pair with a cold milk tea with boba for the perfect pairing.
4. Family Matters: San Jose isn’t just a grown-up tech playground – kids can have fun too! The Children’s Discovery Museum includes several interactive exhibits that provide fun for the whole family. After exploring the museum, play a giant game of monopoly at Monopoly in the Park at Discovery Meadow. Catch a glimpse of some critters at Happy Hollow Park & Zoo – complete with a petting zoo and amusement park! Want to step back in time with family? Check our Emma Prusch Farm Park or History San Jose’s History Park to see how families of the past lived!
5. Even the Dead Don’t Want to Leave: If you’re looking for a spooky adventure, look no further than the Winchester Mystery House. The puzzling mansion owned by the late Sarah Winchester will leave you scratching your head and looking over your shoulder.
Photo Credit: Winchester Mystery House
6. We’re Home to Silicon Valley’s Shopping Paradise: Shop ‘til you drop at Santana Row and Westfield Valley Fair. The Row offers luxury shopping and fine dining. Just across the street Valley Fair has everything you need and is always improving and expanding. To explore local shops and small businesses, Willow Glen is the spot! Their walkable Downtown will make you feel like a local.
7. Art is Everywhere: Elements of San Jose’s art scene can be found across the city. Pow Wow San Jose’s murals line the streets Downtown and beyond. Cukui, a streetwear brand based in San Jose’s Japantown, has heavy influence on San Jose’s cultural identity. San Jose has unique art museums and art walks that showcase local and global artists – San Jose Museum of Art, MACLA and KALEID Gallery are just a few must-see collections.
8. We’ve Got Sports: San Jose isn’t just Sharks Territory – alongside hockey, San Jose is home to the MLS Earthquakes soccer club and minor league baseball’s Giants. In the mood for collegiate level action? Catch a game from San Jose State’s atheletic program of young talent on the rise. San Jose is 6 miles from Levi’s Stadium where you can watch the San Francisco 49ers and 35 miles from the NBA’s Golden State Warriors or their minor league team, the Santa Cruz Warriors.
9. Music Is In Our Blood: The local music scene can be found scattered around Downtown San Jose. SoFA District is a main hub for the local scene with Café Stritch, The Ritz, BackBar, The Continental and Avery Lounge – all providing music ranging from jazz to punk to hip-hop. San Jose sees music festivals year-round with San Jose Jazz’s Winter- and Summerfest, SoFA Street Fair in the fall and spring, and the local favorite summer series Music in the Park.
10. Burritos & Falafels. Need We Say More? San Jose will give your favorite burrito spot a run for its money. La Victoria is a San Jose staple where their iconic orange sauce gives every burrito a unique kick. Looking for a challenge? Iguana’s is home of The Burritozilla. Finish the massive 5-pound burrito and win a shirt to accompany your bragging rights. Going veg but still want grub on the go? Falafel’s Drive-In is a notable roadside joint with yummy falafel sandwiches paired with their signature banana shake.